First Costume Prototype
It’s always a bit of an effort to get back into sewing when I’ve had some time away. I’m relearning how to lay out the fabric and patterns most efficiently, and remembering exactly how the parts go together. (Sometimes I don’t remember exactly, resulting in lots of ripping out stitches.) This time I also had a cool new tool to try out which helps me apply elastic to leg holes. I’m still waiting for two gadgets that may help me gather tulle for tutus more easily, but meanwhile, my serger does an ok job.
The bodysuit went together without much problem, once I figured out how to use the elastic attachment. I built the tutu to be reversible, so that either the pink or the blue could be the outside layer. It was a little tricky to figure out the waistband, but I think I found a solution.
It’s such a darling little costume. Add a hairpiece, tights and ballet slippers, and repeat the whole process a dozen more times or so, and we’re set!
For the month of January, our dining room was covered with swatches of shiny material in vibrant hues. I was looking for colours and patterns that suit the music and style of each dance, fabrics that would be exciting and fun to wear, and looks that are unique that help each class feel special. Estimating how much material to buy is always nerve-wracking! I ordered my first batch of fabric in February, and am now making prototypes of each costume. If they work out (they had better), then I can get to sewing! I don’t have my intrepid assistant this year, as she’s away on exchange, so I’m facing this task alone. Wish me luck!